Epoxy Resin question

Hello,
I have been talking to Brad about teaching a class about epoxy resin especially since the feedback and interest since the makersfest. I am putting a few things together to submit but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who works with resin.

Thanks in advance

7 Likes

@URUKim

3 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Kim and myself do, but Kim by far has really taken off with it. I mostly play with UV resin.

2 Likes

id be most interested in learning to work with this stuff. i have some now but dont know how to use it.

1 Like

Perfect! I would be happy to show you. it’s one of my favorite mediums

1 Like

Hello Mike! I work with UV resin as well but mostly just to dome some of my smaller projects as a final coat. I love the way it cures so fast under the light. I am also interested to learn more jewelry projects with the UV. I have seen some beautiful pieces!

1 Like

Hi, Gena!

I’m a co-lead of the jewelry lab and dabble in resin (epoxy and UV). Classes would be great! I’ll eventually offer some classes as well, but don’t let that deter you! The more the merrier! And I’d love to learn from you, too.

I think @jwithers also works with resin? I may be misremembering.

But yes, I’ll help you in whatever way I can! :blush:

3 Likes

Perfect! I would appreciate it. Enjoy your trip and chat soon!

Id like to learn to use uv resin for that quick cure time. I mainly mess with layering table top epoxy, which takes about a week to cure.

Also if youre ever doing silicone mold making classes, i would love to attend. I want to make some large diameter epoxy river tables and all the molds sold online are super expensive (over $100 each).

1 Like

Hello John
I am in the same boat. I work with epoxy for deeper pours with longer curing time too. I am looking into making molds with Brad to create my own molds too. He recently mentiojed it to me so can definitely be a class down the road. I also want to perfect my river table skills so I am sure I can learn a lot from you too.

1 Like

KU Medical uses our building to make silicone molds for med students to practice on, or they did. Is that agreement still in place and were they to teach some classes or allow members to help as part of that agreement?

I sure would like to find out. I could really use some reusable silicon molds.

1 Like

I’ve done it it’s not bad. In fact prototyped a stem project using opaque quickset resin at one of the glam kids birthday party it actually went well. I used clay to model some moana themed pendants, placed them in the bottom of a silicone cupcake wrapper…thing. then poured (slowely) the mold material on it. After it cured I cut through the bottom of the silicone cupcake thingy and had myself an open faced mold. If flipped up the edges to help catch kid drips.

Hey I found a pic!

4 Likes

Hmm, I can’t find a photo of the silicone mold, but I have photos of the mold of the mold and the cast resin.

3 Likes

Will you please teach me how to make a silicon mold?

I can try to! Always happy to share knowledge/collaborate/experiment. Honestly I haven’t made many, and none of them very large, yet.

4 Likes

Me too. They add up

1 Like

I want to learn it as well. Aaanndd… Anything for the glamkids…LOL!

1 Like

No, they dropped their membership earlier this year.

1 Like