Engraving

Hi all - I’m Doug and I recently joined Make ICT. Wanted to get your thoughts on a project that I’ve been working on. I’m making some reloading trays for my dad for Christmas and wanted to stamp/engrave/laser the calibers of the trays. Any recommendations of the best tool to use at Make ICT to do that on Walnut (CNC? Laser cutter?)? I’ve not had a chance to take more than the woodshop safety class and orientation, so also curious if there is a night or event that would let me come by and get help with that before I can take the class for that tool and separately get cleared to use Walnut. Thanks and look forward to being a part of this community.

1 Like

I would use the Shopbot if I was doing it. I like the laser for engraving sometimes, but in a dark wood like walnut, I think the router would be easier to see.

Edit: I see that after I picked “Shopbot” as the word I intended, my phone still decided that wasn’t it. Stupid phone!

1 Like

Maker Monday is usually a good time to get questions like that answered. And your hazardous material authorization can be earned a couple of ways. Talk to me at Maker Monday to learn more.

1 Like

Thanks guys - appreciate the advice