Empty Bowls Wichita 2018 / Call for Bowls

Folks have been asking, and I have the details now! Empty Bowls is a fundraiser for the Kansas Food Bank (where I work) and is a collaboration between the WSU Ceramics Guild, The Ulrich Museum of Art, the School of Art, Design & Creative Industries at WSU, as well as USD 259, Reuben Saunders Gallery, and WSU Go Create. You can learn more and keep up-to-date on Facebook: www.facebook.com/emptybowlswichita

I’ve heard from quite a few makers who have participated in the past couple of years (for which myself, and the rest of the staff at the Food Bank are very grateful!). Over $16,000 was raised last year, and we are approaching $50,000 since the program began.

The main chili cook-off event, where you can buy any number of amazing hand-crafted bowls, will be happening on October 13th from 11 AM - 1 PM, at WSU Go Create (a chance to check out our cousin makerspace on the east-side). The chili is great, thanks to a couple dozen competitors / sponsors, and there are going to be a whole bunch of amazing desserts again this year! Prior to that, there are a couple of ways you can engage with the program:

• If you want to make a bowl at home or here at MakeICT either ceramic, wood, or glass to donate, check out the details below for the submission process.
  • The folks from WSU will be at the Food Bank for Open Streets on Sunday Sept 23rd. Stop by and check out everything they’ll be demonstrating (after you’ve stopped and helped out at MakeICT of course!!!).
  • Final Friday at WSU Shiftspace, September 28th, from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
  • If you would like to attend the main Build-a-Bowl event at WSU and make a coil bowl or throw a bowl on the wheel (this is actually how my journey with MakeICT got started!), it is schedule for Wednesday, August 29th, from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM, at Henrion Hall, room 110.

If you have any questions, please get in touch. I’m always happy to talk about the work we do just a couple blocks up Douglas for our fellow Kansans in need.

Calling all BOWL-makers for Empty Bowls-2018

Calling all potters, woodworkers, glassblowers to create beautiful bowls to donate to the cause!

Send images of you or your group creating bowls for the cause.
We will highlight your work on our FaceBook page.
Send images to: selliott3@usd259.net

Bowls must be received by Oct. 12th.

For more information: Contact brendalichman@gmail.com

DELIVER BOWLS TO:
WSU-Henrion Hall ROOM 110 (Hand-building room)
Please label box with your NAME & School or PROGRAM.
Wichita State University/Henrion Hall
Ceramics Department - ROOM 110
1845 Fairmount St, Wichita, KS 67260

History of Empty Bowls
In 1990 a high school art teacher in Michigan helped his students solve a problem. They were searching for a way to raise funds to support a food drive. What evolved was a class project to make ceramic bowls for a fundraising meal. Guests were served a simple meal of soup and bread, and were invited to keep the bowl as a reminder of hunger in the world.

By the following year the originators had developed this concept into Empty Bowls, a project to provide support for food banks, soup kitchens, and other organizations that fight hunger. Since then Empty Bowls events have been held throughout the world, and millions of dollars have been raised to combat hunger.

2 Likes

This sounds like a really cool deal. I wonder if we could get involved as an organization…

Great…now I have this craving for some Lucky Charms. Thanks a lot.

well lucky charms are magically delicious, that is part of their appeal.

We have a box! It’s gonna move around some, but seek it out when you’ve made your pretty bowls.

3 Likes

AWESOME! I have set a goal for 2 dozen bowls to personally donate this time. You will see me in there a lot over the coming weekday mornings. I have 18 more to go. LOL. It really is a great opportunity to give to a great cause!

3 Likes

The Community Build-a-Bowl Workshop is this Wednesday evening at WSU Henrion Hall from 4:30 - 7:30. This is a free event where you can come in and make a bowl that will later be glazed and made available for sale at the Chili Cook-Off fundraiser in October. You will be able to choose between making a coil bowl or throwing a bowl on a wheel (electric or kick). If you haven’t had a chance to make a coil bowl before, this is a great opportunity. It’s fun and easy and accessible to all ages and skill levels.

2 Likes