Election Q&A meeting notes

I would love for us to have a paid director. Any idea how much one typically cost?

···

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM Dominic Canare via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| dom MakeICT Co-Founder
May 24 |

• | - |

Small non-profits have paid directors too. IMHO, it’s a position we should have and it should be funded.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

The city budgeted $25,000 for my part-time position. They budget $32,000 for the Chamber of commerce which is 30 hours a week, but part of her pay comes from events and membership to the chamber

2 Likes

I feel like the bare minimum we probably would want to start a salary at is $42,000, and that’s really too low.

2 Likes

Plus the cost of an employee isn’t limited to the salary - payroll taxes and whatnot add quite a bit.

5 Likes

So at $42,000 with SS and taxes would be close to $84,000/year or $7000/month. With 400 members that works out at about $17.50 extra a month per member.

Or $7000/25=280 … so the alternative would be to recruit 280 new members … well more than that because members do have a cost associated with them.

1 Like

An employee doesn’t cost that much in taxes. It’s only 1.25-1.4 times their pay.$58,800 would be the highest. Why are you doubling it?

The example I gave above, for Mulvane, covers my pay, my taxes, and has a little left over for office expenses or continuing education, and memberships.

2 Likes

State mandated insurance (worker’s comp, unemployment, etc) adds to it as well. We’d also incur attorney costs formulating a contract and making sure we didn’t miss anything. And we’d have to advertise to find people to apply.

2 Likes

That formula includes all of that Understanding the Exact Cost of an Employee - true cost of employer - track costs - TimeCamp. The only thing it doesn’t include is a lawyer and cost to find someone.We shouldn’t put someone under contract, an employment manual and a job discription would suffice. Posting a job on social media is free. The Haysville Library got 90 applications for the 2 positions they had open after posting on Facebook.

1 Like

Was the director elected or appointed in the past?

1 Like

I doubled it because that is what Cessna used to do with engineering dollars. They probably offer more benefits than we would, I suppose.

···

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, May 25, 2023, 12:45 AM, Malissa Long via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| Malissa MakeICT Member
May 25 |

• | - |

An employee doesn’t cost that much in taxes. It’s only 1.25-1.4 times their pay.$58,800 would be the highest. Why are you doubling it?

3 Likes

But don’t forget Medicare and worker comp. As well as as and taxes. Plus it will be extra fees for accounting if we make them an employee…

···

On Thursday, May 25, 2023, 8:39 AM, ladeana@makeict.org wrote:

I doubled it because that is what Cessna used to do with engineering dollars. They probably offer more benefits than we would, I suppose.

On Thursday, May 25, 2023, 12:45 AM, Malissa Long via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| Malissa MakeICT Member
May 25 |

• | - |

2 Likes

Appointed.

4 Likes

In addition to all the above listed items that have to be covered for an employee, we have to consider Fringe benefits. As an employer with 150 employees, I used 1.5 as a multiplier to the hourly wage or annual Salary. So, the 42000, you can do the math.

2 Likes