Derby Spring into Art

The City of Derby is holding a fun, family event to celebrate the arts in Derby this spring.

The 4th Spring Into Art event will include live entertainment, art for sale, food trucks, art kits to go, the Kansas Grown Farmers Market and more.

Open to all ages. This event is a joint effort by the City of Derby, Derby Recreation Commission, Derby Public Schools, Derby Public Library, and Derby Arts Council.

See a list of art vendors, performers and food vendors at Spring Into Art | Derby, KS - Official Website. We are accepting artist applications for the event. Please fill out our online application at Derby, KS - Official Website.

Due to COVID-19, activities requiring close contacts are canceled or altered for social distancing. Masks are required and can be removed when safely distanced from others at this outside event or when eating/drinking.

Event held rain or shine. Inclement weather will move booths inside to The Venue.

If you have questions, contact Jenay Wallace at 788-1519 ext. 1267 or jenaywallace@derbyweb.com.

3 Likes

Has MakeIct ever done a booth at a show like this? That Makers can exhibit and sell their work?

2 Likes

We have talked about it but haven’t.

3 Likes

I would be game to share a booth with makeict members (if derby allows it). I only need 1 wall to hang some art and a little spot on a table.

We can do shifts rather than have sit there all day.

I’ve got a 10x10 canopy and tarps to create walls. I use a pvc apparatus to hang my work.

2 Likes

I can look at the application and make any necessary calls and report back by Monday.

I looked earlier and they needed photos of art. I can send you some of what I plan to show. I’ve been been wanting to do more of these. The last one I did (the only other one I’ve ever done actually) was pretty cool. I was happy with the sales also.

I’ve got folding tables and chairs we can use if needed.

1 Like

It asked for a business Tax Id and booth set up images. I e-mailed to ask if we could use the makerspace Tax ID and if we could send product images since we have not had a booth together before. I will call on Monday if I haven’t received an answer. I’ve also been invited to show at Bartlett’s Arboretum April 10 and 11th registration is due March 26th if that’s of interest I can check with them as well? It’s $25 for the 2 days and they have a second weekend April 17&18 for an additional $25.

1 Like

I’d be into the Bartlett one.

1 Like

I agree with Erik, I would totally be game to share a booth space (or two spaces) with MakeICT members to sell some art, because, I have don’t enough stuff to fill a booth all myself.
I have folding tables and a 10x20 EZ-up that I would be happy to supply and set up.

3 Likes

On 2nd thought I’m probably going to need more than just 1 wall. I spent quite a bit of time planning my last booth. I actually set it all up in my garage beforehand to make sure everything worked. Hanging art is the biggest obstacle. I made a lightweight pvc “wall”. I think I have a pic. I’ll have mostly my airplane drawings at this show.

6 Likes

Stunning artwork, so many talented people in this group.

3 Likes

We are good to submit to Derby. I just need images from all interested parties. Maybe set up a Google meet time to chat and submit information?

2 Likes

I thought I had sent an e-mail last week but didn’t. Just sent that off will let you know what I hear from them.

2 Likes

We’re good for Art at the Arb as well. Just need to send pics. @devin
I think We can do this at the same meeting as the other market.

1 Like

@ScottS I’ll check but I’m pretty sure my tarps will cover a 20ft booth. Not sure if I mentioned i have several folding tables also.

@Malissa Did you have a link for the art at the arb or the Bartlett ones? I’d be interested in those as well.

1 Like

Art at the Arb is Bartlett’s Arboretum. It was by invitation only I do have the file they sent to fill out. You are not allowed to bring your own pop-up to that event. I can forward you the email with the registration information.

If we are going to do this as a group I would like for us to meet and discuss responsibilities, how payments will work if we do shifts, and plan schedules.

1 Like

I have a “paypal here” chip and swipe reader. (Theyre free and take about a week to arrive.) They arent required but they give a lower “card present” transaction fee of 2.7%.

I think the easiest way would probably be to create a temporary group paypal account. We would need to log all sales, and put the sellers initials in the product description when taking paypal payment or a ledger when taking cash. Then at the end we would would divvy cash and transfer (for free) each persons paypal money into their paypal account.

Sales tax is charged based on the city you sold to in kansas. So in the case of derby we would charge 6.5% KS tax, 1% Sedg Tax, and .5% Derby Tax (Total 8%) You’ll want to keep track of how much to state, county and municipality because the state will want it at the end of the quarter. Usually these events require a tax id or social security number. Im not sure why, but I dont chance it with the tax man.

Thats all just so that we can do shifts and take payment for each other. Otherwise you could just download the app and login to your own account if you plan to be in the booth the entire time.

Another option we did with scouts popcorn sales was to create a child account that only has the ability to accept payments, it cannot see or modify account info. But in scouts we only had 1 main account, not 3 or 4.

1 Like

I just had a conversation with my family. They want to do it with me and try my art as well so I will be doing my own booth at both markets.

1 Like

Might be easier.

1 Like