Crank handle broke on planer

@squarenuts
Came in to find handle broke. Can still adjust thickness just not as fast. Will look at replacements.

2 Likes

@Jesse I’m not sure if you would want a fix for using the old handle, but I have seen a few of those types of handles repaired. Not quite the same as new, but it works. Drill a hole through the length of the handle and counterbore it to accept a long socket head cap screw and then drill and tap a hole to accept the cap screw in the hand-wheel part where the handle goes. Depending on how deep you make the counter bore, it can either be made so the handle free wheels as you’re turning the wheel or screwed down tight so the handle doesn’t spin. The biggest problem is finding the right length of socket head cap screw.

I make my own when needed. I actually prefer a slotted head but it’s just an aesthetic thing.

2 Likes

Do you mean you make your own bolt? Anything like that should work to fix the hand wheel.
I suppose if a person was making, they could just make a whole new handle with a threaded end and then drill and tap into the hand wheel part to screw the handle into.

Yes a new knob can be made. I made this

whole ball crank, including the spinning knob and the screw that holds it.

The shcs holding the ball crank in place has since been replaced by a custom screw that really caps the whole end of the shaft.

7 Likes

That looks really nice David.

1 Like

Could even make a custom bolt and somebody could turn a nice wooden knob for it out of some fancy wood!

1 Like

Yes, an exotic wood knob would be cool on there. Probably not as durable as metal of some sort, but should last a long time.

1 Like

Infused with epoxy, it might hold up longer

2 Likes

When it breaks just go next door and make another.

Make a few so you can change them out to change the look of it. Maybe some carved animals or faces…

···

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022, 03:31 David Hanson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| whateg01
December 13 |

• | - |

Infused with epoxy, it might hold up longer

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| DanS
December 13 |

• | - |

Yes, an exotic wood knob would be cool on there. Probably not as durable as metal of some sort, but should last a long time.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Let me know the next trime you might use a wooden knob. It would be an interesting trial. I would need finished diameter and base size of hole.

John Nicholas
My Maker SuperPower is making wood round.

2 Likes

I haven’t done anything to fix this since Aaron and Jesse were already on it. Neither have commented on making a handle either

1 Like

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will bring in a bolt today then we can turn a wood handle and drill it to fit on bolt.

2 Likes