Comic Book Cabinet (need design advice)

I’m making a wooden cabinet (set of drawers) to hold my comic books but I need design help/advice!

I have built six three-row drawers 24"×11"×22" (width×height×depth) out of 3/8" plywood, but these, by themselves, are…quite heavy. Two are currently posing as shelves in my wife’s office :grinning:. I intended on mounting them on soft-close/self-closing drawer slides, but I haven’t found any that I believe could cope with the sheer weight of a full drawer (estimated at 75lbs), and those, in turn, would have to be mounted with hardware and on wood that could also support that kind of weight. The other consideration is if the weight will pull the cabinet over (if only one drawer is open, that shouldn’t be an issue). I’m willing to re-make the drawers to hold less, and thus weigh less, if that’s necessary.

Right now, my collection is stored in cardboard boxes, but because they’re all stacked in a closet right now it’s hard to get to any particular book or to file away new acquisitions without emptying my closet on a semi-regular basis.

So first, I need some advice on how to build drawers, and/or a method of mounting my existing drawers such that they can be fully opened.

Some (possibly helpful) information: the typical comic cardboard long-box (of which I have several) is about 28" long, 8" wide, 11" tall, and can hold 250-300 comics.

My end goal is to have a “traditional looking” exterior cabinet with doors that open to reveal commissioned comic book artwork on the front of each drawer, and laser-cut silhouettes of characters as detail pieces on the interior.

So… the floor is open! Ideas? Anyone want to help with this?

3 Likes

Have you looked into Blum under mounted slides? This would require you to remake the drawers. I have seen video’s on YouTube showing how to make and mount the Blum slides. I am making some bathroom vanities and I bought side mounted slides for Menards. I think they hold up to 75lbs.

Hope this helps.

Rockler has some that take 100lbs

Blum slides are supposedly fantastic, but high priced! I prefer to mock up my wood projects in SketchUp. The free online free version is very good and also free! LOL

I’ll give SketchUp another try. Last time I tried it, though (while Google owned it, so it’s apparently been at least 10 years), I had trouble drawing a box. Might be because I was used to parametric modelling from using CATIA. Maybe there are YouTube tutorials?

If you are used to CATIA, try Fusion 360 or Onshape. They will be closer to CATIA.

1 Like

Tons of YouTube tutorials. Check out Steve Ramsey (Woodworking for Mere Mortals). He has a SketchUp tutorial for woodworking.

1 Like