I’m creating a coffee table for my living room. The frame is extruded aluminium, but I would like to make the surfaces with hardwood. I’ve attached some CAD screenshots for context.
Dimensions are (LxWxH): 1118mm x 418mm x 24mm (44.01in x 16.45in x 0.94 in)
I’ve done a bit of reading/watching and it sounds like I need to do the following:
- Get some hardwood planks
- Use the planer to get the planks flat and to correct thickness
- Use the jointer to get a straight edge
- Use the table saw to rip the planks to correct width
- Glue up and clamp planks keeping everything as straight as possible
- Trim and square up length
- Sand and finish
I’ve got a few questions:
- Is my plan reasonable? Any key steps missing/overlooked?
- Where is a good place in Wichita to source hardwood?
- I’m certified in the woodshop, but haven’t used the equipment for some time. When is the best time to get a bit of help/guidance in the woodshop?