Book Reading for Children

If I buy some books, like those here: 12 Picture Books to Motivate Young Makers From Preschool to Grade 3 | Edutopia , what are your thoughts of our having occasional free book reading seasons with kiddos, where I or another volunteer can read aloud to children and maybe do a related craft/activity after?

6 Likes

I think it sounds like a great idea!

2 Likes

I probably have supplies I’ve been saving for a creative reuse store that I might no ever get to model that you’re welcome to and I’d be happy to help.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @Malissa !

I’ve ordered Be a Maker; Boxitects; Rosie Revere, Engineer; and The Color Collector to start with. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Just a heads up we will not be able to stream or record the readings because of copyright laws. When you get the books I’d like to set down and plan activities around each book.

2 Likes

We can stream/record if the book reading ties into educational/learning activities, as in a classroom, and not just reading the story itself. But I also don’t see need to.

And yes! I’ll let you know when they arrive. I’m so excited! Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Art Partners got in trouble for this. That’s why I brought it up.

2 Likes

Oh, you might have fun with the Queens Tea at the Renaissance Fair.

Kids sit down under a shade fly and are handed a honey tea and biscuits while the queen and ladies in waiting read large picture books.

2 Likes

Sounds fun. We have some supplies in room 3 closet. Pencils, crayons, paints and glue are all in there to use.

2 Likes

Curious, what day of the week, and time would this be happening? And how frequently?
And is it open to any kids, or members only children?

:woman_shrugging:t2: TBD. I would think days/times when school is not in session. Once a month or two seems reasonable/doable. Members’ children only would be fine, but opening it up at least occasionally contributes to community involvement/outreach, and with limited space available.

5 Likes

@Malissa @ladeana For members’ children only sessions, would it be set up like a regular class? And for open sessions–that would still need signup, I assume–would it be an event?

2 Likes

Reading books to kids is super fun. I remember going to the library for similar events as a kid. I love reading to the grandkids. Jenisa used to have me read grandpa’s ghost stories all the time.

1 Like

Thank you Kim :blush:

1 Like

My kids’ favorite was when their grandpa would read them “The Stinky Cheese Man.”

2 Likes

I think setting up as a class is best so you know how many families to prepare for.

ScrapKC has a YouTube channel where they make with the scraps they have excess of at the store. https://youtube.com/channel/UCTWE9gcrW2yqdGdihnO1l7w

2 Likes

We could do classless for either.

···

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 1:56 PM Kim Nguyen via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| URUKim MakeICT Member
September 8 |

• | - |

@Malissa @ladeana For members’ children only sessions, would it be set up like a regular class? And for open sessions–that would still need signup, I assume–would it be an event?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

@David That’s one of my kiddos’ favorites! Before them, I used to always read it to my nephews and nieces.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be important for IRS reporting to have a record of attendance?

3 Likes

Our library back home had a little stage and they did puppet shows and read books. Also, my grandma was one of the librarians which was extra nice.

3 Likes