Blade up

The entire purpose of having the Saw Stop brand table saw is so you can’t cut body parts off. You’re not going to cut body parts off if the saw is stopped. The edge of the table is a bigger risk. Heck half of us are too short to reach the blade if we fall.

Slip/fall hazards far more commonly cause head and back injuries and are completely independent of anything a badge would address. A better vacuum system for clean up would help that. Dust in the middle of the floor can come from any of the equipment, and fine dust left behing with sweeping is a definite slip hazard.

And we have a hard enough time keeping woodshop leads without expecting them to track down every single person who forgets something.

6 Likes

Yes, the saw stop has a brake. No other machine does, to my knowledge.

It’s just an option out of many. And really doesn’t even matter if IT doesn’t want to do it.

That’s a fine ideal but if it’s too cumbersome, accidents will indeed stop happening because people will find less cumbersome ways to do things. For example, I don’t need the tools at makeict except for the lasers, which happens rarely nowadays. It’s just more convenient to use the space where I don’t have to clean off my table saw to use it. Same goes for the metal shop. But if a project is going to take 3x as long because of fumbling with a badge reader, I’ll stop using the space altogether. And that’s when the badge reader is working. OSHA and other safety organizations are great ideas until they step on their d**** by making a job too costly or time consuming to perform and then the job ceases to exist altogether. The other secondary effect applies there but moreso in IT where the allowance of attachments becomes forbidden. People still have a job to do and will find a way around the new ban. Many of my customers give me their yahoo or Gmail accounts when they need an attachment from me, circumventing the system altogether, and leaving IT with no control at all over what comes in.

I agree completely with this. Pointing out a safety concern but then leaving it in an unsafe concern means you aren’t really concerned about the unsafe condition. You just want attention.

2 Likes

It isn’t really necessary to get into the territory of questioning someone’s intentions or criticizing how someone reported a safety issue.

I’m sure you would agree that it’s better to report an issue than to ignore it. Period.

I might have handled it differently and you might have handled it differently but there’s a lot of difference between suggesting that and inferring bad intent.

7 Likes

Wrong thread. I might need coffee

What I think of, every time I see this thread:

I came in a couple days ago and the blade was up then too. And I put it down.

4 Likes

Might be Merrill Grail. She’s a hobgoblin that lives on the other side of the creek. She likes to sneak into the makerspace and set machines up so that they are dangerous. We need a ward to help remind people when they see something she has left, to square it away.

Fill the makerspace with magical wards to combat the nasty deeds of Merrill Grail. Thwart her mischief!

2 Likes