Black walnut sawdust needed

Garden would like to try a small scale test of whether black walnut wood dust suppresses bindweed growth. If you’ll be cutting black walnut please let me know and I’ll make an effort to collect the dust for trial.

2 Likes

I would be curious too, which would be great.

How much do you think it will take.

Will it affect the soil for other crops? It might. I know tomatoes freak out.

I’m not planning on testing it near the crops. Prime test locations would be sidewalk cracks, the edges of the main parking lot, and pots. The goal would be to suppress growth into the garden, making it just a tad easier to control inside the garden itself.

I’ll make some attempt to perform controlled studies wrt concentration and have some placebo controls with other wood species dust. That may give an indication of how much it takes.

The topic arose in a woodworking group on Facebook, and another lady may try it also.

3 Likes

Awesome… Science!

3 Likes

Yes, I can see a possibility there. It will be interesting to see what undesirable surprises will turn up.

···

On May 9, 2023, at 11:55 AM, Sherry Ibrahim via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| Sherry MakeICT Vice President
May 9 |

• | - |

I’m not planning on testing it near the crops. Prime test locations would be sidewalk cracks, the edges of the main parking lot, and pots. The goal would be to suppress growth into the garden, making it just a tad easier to control inside the garden itself.

I’ll make some attempt to perform controlled studies wrt concentration and have some placebo controls with other wood species dust. That may give an indication of how much it takes.

The topic arose in a woodworking group on Facebook, and another lady may try it also.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Sounds like a cool experiment Sherry. I wish I had some old, crappy black walnut at home. I’d run it through my saw specifically to make sawdust for you to use. I have a really bad problem with bindweed at home too so it would be great to know if the sawdust would really suppress it, or make it stronger. LOL
I’ve read (anecdotally) that all parts of black walnut trees can suppress many plants and I’ve seen bare patches of soil under black walnut trees.

3 Likes

Somebody said those logs on west end of building are black walnut-- we can investigate.

Also, I read boiling water kills bindweed and the roots- I am willing to help with this

1 Like

The logistics of boiling water in adequate quantities (plus concern of burns from splashing when pouring large quantities) is what’s stopped me from trying boiling water already. Any ideas for how we’d get enough boiling water?

3 Likes

Restaurant grade white distilled vinegar works as a quick burn down weed killer. Not always a complete kill. It’s not as diluted as much as consumer store brands.
I think available from restaurant supply and, of course, Amazon.

2 Likes

Vinegar probably best used outside of spaces about to be planted. Probably not a long term problem once it gets rained in or watered given the alkalinity of our soil. Jesse may be trying boiling water in a bed soon

2 Likes

I will try and figure how much boiling water per square foot is needed. I think I have a 25 gallon pot and burner…

3 Likes

Boiling water does work and it works on everything it touches. I do hot power washing for my machines and some times i just shoot weeds around the house for giggles and they do indeed die along with any fescue near them

3 Likes

I may have a bucket of black walnut sawdust. I will check and bring to the space tomorrow. I will be in the HAM class anyway.

3 Likes

No dice on walnut dust. The buckets I have are others (mostly oak) but I will keep an eye out.

2 Likes

Found some walnut shavings if you are still interested. Not a lot here, but about half of a 5 gal bucket full.

3 Likes

I am!!! Are they at the space? I’ll be there at 10am tmr again and then Tues am if you want to leave them someplace

1 Like

I can drop it by the space on Tuesday morning.

···

On Sat, May 27, 2023, 19:39 Sherry Ibrahim via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Sherry MakeICT Vice President
May 28 |

• | - |

I am!!! Are they at the space? I’ll be there at 10am tmr again and then Tues am if you want to leave them someplace

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Dust is in a fees sack in the boiler room on the shelf by the garden door.

4 Likes

I left two 55gallon bags half full in the boiler room for you. If you no longer need ill toss in trash outside next time im here. @Sherry

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes