Bisque Fire complete 11-1-2022

5 Likes

Wow thanks Gaye you are a busy bee!

1 Like

What are all the beads for that are in the bowls? Someone has been busy making lots of cool looking stuff. I hope to join the fun in the ceramics area some day.

3 Likes

They’re actually not beads, they’re balls to be used as plant media similar to LECA. im still working on expanding them, making them lighter and increasing porosity. Definitely more work than just buying them, but a fun twist on a classic media.

3 Likes

That’s really cool Ben. I’m not familiar with LECA. Is that a media that is used in a sort of hydroponic growing method? HMMMM, need some high temperature yeast in them! LOL Seriously though, it sounds like a really interesting experiment that would be fun to try. Good luck with eventually getting what you want.

···

jetmakr56@hotmail.com???

From: noreply=talk.makeict.org@mg.makeict.org noreply=talk.makeict.org@mg.makeict.org on behalf of Ben Rogers via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2022 4:32 PM
To: jetmakr56@hotmail.com jetmakr56@hotmail.com
Subject: [MakeICT] [Ceramics/Kiln Firing Notices] Bisque Fire complete 11-1-2022

Ben.rogers
November 7

They’re actually not beads, they’re balls to be used as plant media similar to LECA. im still working on expanding them, making them lighter and increasing porosity. Definitely more work than just buying them, but a fun twist on a classic media.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, you are correct, I use them in semi hydroponic and in aquaponic systems. Yeast is an interesting thought, i was thinking about trying to whip the clay or put something in the clay that would burn out, maybe wood chips(thanks Scott)? I think my first real project might be making red/ blue swirled balls for a plant gift for my jhawk friend.
My idea came after i bought UQYES 3-4MM 4.4lbs Blue expanded Clay Pebbles,Gardening ceramsite,Potted Balls for hydroponic Growing,vases Supplies,Bonsai Decor of Orchid and Succulent Plants (leca Balls in Color) https://a.co/d/1TBVB0p
This is the opposite of an endorsement, i got them and immediately thought they were too dense, too expensive and i thought mixed color balls would be fun. Very easy/ relaxing experiment for me.

2 Likes

Well Ben, I’ll bet I know where you could find a ton of sawdust to incorporate into some clay to see if it will burn out and leave the pockets you want. I don’t know how it would react but I wonder if wet sawdust would do anything? When it gets hot, that should create steam in the balls and either blow them apart or the steam would create larger porosity in the clay. The only thing with that experiment would be the possible smoke that may affect other items in the kiln or possibly bits of clay blowing up and attaching to other items in the kiln. But maybe you could try that in a wood or charcoal fire in a fire pit or something like that. I guess it may be similar to the Roku style of firing clay that creates the fine black lines in a pot or whatever.

1 Like