Bird feeder

Arduino! Okay, maybe not, but still…Arduino!

6 Likes

Or a lift in/out design. It seems easy for quick releases to get stuck when fine dirt particles work their way in

4 Likes

With the design I was looking at, it would be pretty easy to make a rectangular spot that we could place a tray into for easy removal. I could even experiment and look around online for some break-away build designs possibly if we need to clean the actual structure as well.

2 Likes

Love this discussion! Love the ideas.

I’d like to note (not trying to be pedantic—this is something I learned last year) that the caterpillars aren’t monarch, but rather black swallowtails. They look almost identical, but monarchs feed exclusively on milkweed and have black antennae. Last year, we had TONS of the black swallowtail, but the birds got most of them. I thought about putting up a bug screen to keep the birds out and protect them, but this would also keep bees out. They loved pollinating the basil last year.

On a related note, this reminds we that I meant to bring up growing milkweed somewhere in order to create a monarch habitat in one of our garden meetings. I’ve love to look into this!

5 Likes

An ESP32 isn’t strictly an Arduino, but they are cousins, so we could put birdhouse cameras in without angering my Arduino spirit animal, I guess:

5 Likes

I’ve got one or two ESP32CAMs I’d be willing to contribute to the project. I’ll gladly set them up if we account for them in designing/building the birdhouse(s). They’re pretty tiny, so it shouldn’t be too onerous.

7 Likes

Just something that came to mind, PTFE is the lining used in non-“all metal” 3d printer hotends, and in 3d printer bowden tubes. In 3d printers the PTFE can sometimes be heated to the point where the tube starts to degrade. I’d imagine this is a high enough temp to release that gas. Potentially something for makers to keep in mind if they have both birds and 3d printers.

2 Likes

Oh poop.

I’m the reason my crows got sick. :sweat_smile:
I appreciate you Sherry cause I didn’t know any of that.

@squarenuts Will do. Cleaning and maintenance wise. We’ll see about the buy part. Why buy what you can trade apple butter, lemon curd or deer meat for…>.>

2 Likes

Y’all should build an obstacle course for the squirrels Mark Rober style!

5 Likes

If you haven’t seen Mark Rober’s squirrel Youtube videos you are missing out for sure…

5 Likes

I thought you were kidding but those videos are great!

@bradcozine that is an adorable design. And quite the rubber ducky collection.

Okay, I’m caught up.

1. How can I help? I’m not authorized for sone of this stuff. @hippyman

2. May I barter or buy one of these birdhouses? My grandma loves watching the birds. She’ll kill me if she knows I’m why the crows got sick. Spaghetti/pizza sauce season is upon us, IJS.

4 Likes

I’d be glad to make two of them if you’re talking about getting one of the ones I posted. You don’t have to give me anything. It’s a pretty simple design and doesn’t use a lot of material.

2 Likes

Aww, thanks! :star_struck: I was really happy with how it came out. I’d been meaning to update the design to make it easier to assemble, then post it on Thingiverse so everyone could enjoy one! With all the positive feedback, I might just go and do that now!
#inspired

5 Likes

I spent some time in the shop milling up a few pieces and started gluing up a couple parts of the feeder. I started making without planning and might have made it a bit too big so I came home to plan out the rest so I can have numbers in my head when I come back to finish it.

I’ve labeled them in the woodshop assembly room. I wasn’t sure where to put them so if somebody moves them please let me know so I can find them when I come back.

Also @Sherry do you know if suet feeders and suet cakes are okay? I thought of a neat idea where I could hang one of those inside the structure. I’m making a 3D model and I’ll share a picture once I’m done. I just wanted to see if those were okay for the birds or not.

Here’s what I was thinking. The yellow pieces will be some osage orange I have. And the purplish stuff is the eastern red cedar and the brown stuff will just be normal cedar.

7 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with suet. It is more of a winter feed due to melting/spoiling issues in heat and substantially higher energy needs in winter and spring migration.

5 Likes

Bird feeder make me also wonder about bird baths… I have made a few in the past and I was thinking of making a few more…

4 Likes

We would have to clean bird baths also but I’m willing to help Jessica with that task. Shallow water for the passerines is hard to come by in summer especially so I’d certainly support the idea.

2 Likes

What about a couple of coats of Shellac on the inside (in contact with the bird feed)? Shellac is made from the lac bug of S. Asia. When the finish is off gassed, (no smell left) it is food safe.

John

1 Like

Shellac would be bird safe, but I don’t see it holding up to frequent cleaning and disinfection plus weather changes with the wood. Defects that develop in the finish are impossible to properly disinfect.

1 Like

I’m down for this! It’s so cute! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes