Bike Parking?

If it’s going to be powder coated, I would suggest using zinc-rich primer. Or start with galvanized pipe. It will still get dinged up over time and if it’s in the ground, can’t be easily touched up with powder. That’s not too say don’t powder coat, but to keep that in mind. Maybe make it removable so it can be touched up, for example.

The Riverfront Stadium has some Wichita-specific racks. See at the very end of Riverfront Stadium – IC in the ICT

I might check to see how those are holding up some weekend when it’s nice.

1 Like

Certainly are some unique ones there. TBH, the flag ones don’t scream “I’m a place to park a bike”. While I like the idea of unique and cool looking, if this is going to get done, I think that practical and relatively easy to design and make are important.

The spacing guidance in the pdf linked above limits the number of bikes that can be parked in a given area reasonably well. The space by the front door will probably only allow a couple of stands. How many bikes do we need to be able to accommodate?

1 Like

(This message was previously started right after Clayton came to visit us to advise us on where the rack should go, and now I’m attempting to finish off with what info I have.)

Figured I could update the interested parties, but after Clayton came to visit us at MakeICT to see what we had to work with, all who attended agreed that the bike rack is best placed right by the slab of concrete leading to our main entrance, on the part where the dumpster is. While there are plans to put concrete in for more ADA parking to the right of the existing ADA parking, we have also planned to put more concrete in on the left side of the entrance for the bike parking at the same time due to cost and availability.

Considerations for design:

• must be thick enough to be strong, but not be too thick as to not leave space for a bike lock
  • consult the “designs to avoid” section of the file attached before starting on design
    EssentialsofBikeParking_FINA.pdf (1.0 MB)
  • this is for the design for the FIRST bike rack, and if another is needed later on, we can design another for the other side of the building around the garden area, which would be beneficial for visitors during markets and open house events
  • it has been discussed favorably so far to lean in the direction of a gear shape, but at this point i def think this needs to be more function over look just so it can get done.

We have a few members who have bikes, but this is also for potential members and visitors as well. I am backing off of this project and will be sending everything to @whateg01 so he can continue on with it and hopefully bring it farther than I can.

4 Likes