Barrel Firing

Would anyone have objections to doing a barrel firing in the BBQ pit outside? I’ve been wanting to start doing sagger firings for awhile now and I think it would be a good way to experiment. It wouldn’t be any different or more dangerous than cooking burgers on it. Just wood chips, a few logs and natural saggar ingredients like banana peels. I’d probably move the bbq out from underneath the covered patio and onto the blacktop. I’ll obviously clean up everything afterwards, too.

Thanks!

1 Like

As an avid fabric dyer I was always taught the have separate pots for food and dyes. I think the same should apply here.

1 Like

That’s understandable. However, that BBQ isn’t fit for food as it is. The grate inside is completely rusted over and someone has been using it as an ashtray for a long time now. That’s kinda why I thought it could be used for this. I wouldn’t cook on it…

2 Likes

That being said, if anyone has any food grade metal barrels they’d be willing to donate, I could just go that route.

1 Like

Do we have to talk to the fire department about fire pits since we are commercial… I vaguely recall someone saying that…

1 Like

As long as you keep in line with the international fire code which the city has adopted without change it shouldn’t matter. That being said I don’t know the specifics for wood burning industrial applications like a kiln, my current area of research is indoor propane burning.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that just be for open flames? This would be completely contained the whole time.

1 Like

They did a pit fire at Logan’s place and the fire department was not happy. It deserves a bit more research just to be sure we’re on the right side of expectations with them. Especially as we work forward towards gas firing in the future.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks for response. I’ll hold off for now. I just noticed the BBQ while we were working on the garden and thought it would be perfect, since it already has some venting included on it.

I might end up doing one in my backyard, if any other people are interested in experimenting with some of their bisqueware. I just need to get ahold of a food-grade metal barrel. Any leads would be appreciated!

Here’s a good tutorial on saggar firing and the results you can expect:

1 Like

Also, the county has the customary burn ban in place again for the whole month of April. 8 days to go for chiminea season!

3 Likes