Bandsaw Settings and Adjustments

I used the large Bandsaw this morning. Someone has been resetting it. There is cardboard that changes the angle of the fence from 90° to the table to + 2°. I don’t know who or why, so I did hnot remove the cardboard.

The other question is about the bandsaw tension. Is it normal for everyone using either of the bandsaws, to release the blade tension, so the next user has to retension the blade?

Sometimes I find it tensioned and sometimes not. My understanding is that some advice is to release the tension, other advice is that it iis not necessary to release the tension. I do not want to revisit or rehash that discussion. I would like it clear. So I know to retension or not and how much. Also, then to release it or not.

John

We should always leave the table set square to the blade. (We should always also check that tools we use are set up to our needs).
I set the bandsaws up using the Snodgrass method. I have also been following Doug’s unofficial policy of not de-tensioning the bandsaws. Blades certainly do last longer if de-tensioned but we are hard on our blades and usually dull them quicker than constant tension will break them, and some users may have difficulty tensioning our bandsaw blades (and I don’t think this is a problem) so it seems a decent compromise and a real convivence to leave them tensioned.
I will try to get some signage up with greater detail than is posted presently.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications. The fence is set at 90° when the level on the side of the fence is loose and the fence will move slightly. When you tighten that level down, it moves out of perpendicular to about 92°. That is why I thought someone had a reason for it.

Also, where do you keep the replacement inserts for the blade?

John

I thought you meant the table, not fence. The cardboard most certainly could be for blade drift.
Replacement inserts are 3d printed, we probably need more

The cardboard is jacking the fence off perpendicular.

JN

Must have been some specialy setup. I’ll take a look.