Approaching diversity

For sure! Being apart of the LGBTQIA community myself, I have all the feels towards my brothers and sisters of the trans community. It really angers me when I hear that they are not respected in what is supposed to be a safe space for all.

9 Likes

How soon can we start this?

I’ll let others have your copies. I will purchase the audio book.

2 Likes

After the last few weeks I am not comfortable being in the space. I can leave drop the books off by next weekend, but I don’t see myself participating in it at this time.

I can offer further book suggestions, as I’ve participated in a Facebook discussion group over a few similar books with some other DVMoms.

3 Likes

Me either, but I stopped by today because I knew I could help ceramics. It was a breath of fresh air. I’m still going to take it slow. I’m in no rush, I’m probably going to want to listen to it several times before discussing, and I probably could have worded my question better but was excited. If someone else feels comfortable leading a group like this please let us know.

3 Likes

One suggestion I have is to be more active outside of MakeICT. Meet people where they are. Have we ever done school presentations? I know there are technology magnets in Wichita. When I was a journalist, I did a story about a STEM summer program put on by Wichita State aimed at underserved youth. We could try and partner with things like that. Kids tell their parents, parents get interested in the space.

5 Likes

Before the pandemic I did a couple of Neighborhood Nights/ STEAM Nights at schools in USD 261 (Haysville) and USD 259(Wichita). I have a contact with USD 259. I will reach out to them and see how we can be added back to those events in USD 259, if they have them this school year. USD 261 Event is in January and on the radar of Classroom Management for this year because unfortunately we didn’t have any volunteers for last year as it was on a board meeting night.

3 Likes

Please don’t do this unless y’all have enacted the proper ways to protect/take care of said people of color.

I had to let my membership go after the rumors/folks telling me I wasn’t welcome after fighting for this very same thing.

12 Likes

It’s very disappointing that that happened to you and Im hoping we can prevent it from happening again. Tp anyone.

It’s worth fighting for and hopefully we’re making progress on that. I’ll stand beside anyone that is willing to do the right thing and I’ll stand in direct opposition to anyone treating anybody the way you were treated.

Mike

8 Likes

I’m glad to hear this and I’m thankful for those who did have my back.

However I asked 3 specific questions when I joined:

Are there issues with race/diversity

Is it safe for trans people

Was there a safe place to report issues/problems to

I was guaranteed all of these were in place before I joined, that makeICT had no issue with any of these things. That was not true.

I do NOT recommend bringing more POC folks in to be harmed until things are sorted. People of color are people, not fodder for diversity experiments until y’all get it right.

Even before the SH situation, I remember being followed to my car, folks constantly asking me if I had my badge and just being watched as if I didn’t belong.

We need to learn to do things properly instead of assuming we’ll handle it at the time or it wont happen here.

I highly support Sherrys book club idea but recommend checking out black/POC authors.

How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi

So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo

Are two great places to start.

19 Likes

That is supremely disappointing to hear and explains my original post to the forum. I thank you for your bravery in addressing and offering your insight. That was very eye-opening to read as a new member to this community.

5 Likes

THIS. THIS. THIS!!! True diversity cannot be artificially created! It should not be a question of “How do we attract more POC/queer people?” It has to happen naturally by making the space a safe place for them. What kind of community do we want at MakeICT, and what kind of community are we welcoming and allowing to flourish instead?

10 Likes

I’m not sure if there’s a way to say this without implying “Fix the problem yourself,” because that’s not that’s how it’s intended, but I’d like to point out that at the July 12th board meeting (last night), this happened:

COC Reporting Committee

• Doug Wilson would like to join the committee
  • Looking for more people to join the COC Reporting Committee
    • Motion?
    • Nicole moves for Doug to be appointed
    • Mike seconds
  • James Lancaster yes
  • Gretchen Koch yes
  • Michael Atherton yes
  • Nicole Reid yes
  • LaDeana Dockery yes
  • Mindy McKinley yes

Motion carries 6 yes

If anyone is interested in joining COCC they should email coc-reporting@makeict.org (Any reports should go to reports@makeict.org )

@DECISION: [Doug is appointed to COCRC ]

My last visit beginning of garden season is where I was told I was a trouble maker/not wanted.

In my experience it takes years for real change to be made/go through.

And I did try. I just suffered for it. I mean, I believe you were part of the meeting where the gentleman argued it was okay to say the N word.

Apologies for having a breaking point but I am only human.

I do invite others to try but I don’t encourage POC/minority communities to sacrifice themselves so non-POC can learn to foster a community where all are treated with dignity and respect.

It’s not mentally healthy for the POC/minority.

9 Likes

Or we just gravitate to where we know we are welcome. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I have been told many, many, many times by multiple people that girls don’t belong in the woodshop and metal shop using “big” tools. :woman_shrugging:t3: No big deal, I still use those shops as needed (at some point it became tedious to even attempt to report stupidity, so I stopped).
But I’m plugged in and helping and doing things in the electronics lab, cuz that’s the group and lead that was most welcoming every time I’ve walked through the doors.

Maybe, the answer to some of this is we make change, or support growth, where there are already roots of welcome.

4 Likes

Yes. And for what it’s worth, that gentleman is no longer at MakeICT.

However, I’m definitely aware that you can’t tell people they’re welcome. Well, I suppose you can, but they’re not going to believe you until they feel welcome.

So I can’t blame people for not wanting to go where they don’t feel welcome. All I can do is try to make it more likely that they do.

10 Likes

It’s a big ask and I’m glad you’re trying. :sparkles::black_heart:

7 Likes

MakeICT, as a whole, is supposed to be welcoming to everyone, as a whole. If people say that girls* don’t belong in the woodshop/metal shop, that is discrimination and not okay. It’s a violation of the Code of Conduct.

And if it isn’t reported, nothing will happen to stop it from continuing.

*Not to mention…“girls”? Ick. Imagine saying that boys don’t belong in Textiles.

11 Likes

If you were treated as a criminal for existing in the common spaces time and time again.

If you were told repeatedly that you don’t belong in the space at all.

If it wasn’t just your gender.

If you were first told to do something by leadership and then told not to do that thing by leadership, with no real basis.

If your reputation was dragged repeatedly over time with ongoing gossip that was never stopped.

At some point a person figures out it’s just better for their own mental health to leave.

I’ts not their fault for giving up. It’s on the membership to do better.

9 Likes

My last visit beginning of garden season is where I was told I was a trouble maker/not wanted.

I have been told many, many, many times by multiple people that girls don’t belong in the woodshop and metal shop using “big” tools. :woman_shrugging:t3: No big deal, I still use those shops as needed (at some point it became tedious to even attempt to report stupidity, so I stopped).

I do invite others to try but I don’t encourage POC/minority communities to sacrifice themselves so non-POC can learn to foster a community where all are treated with dignity and respect.

It’s not mentally healthy for the POC/minority.

This is all making me question if I should cancel my not yet approved membership.

3 Likes

Not to discount other people’s experiences, but I use both the metalshop and woodshop and have never heard anything like that. I’ve only ever been welcomed into the spaces.

4 Likes