Anyone have experience with replicating vintage fabric?

I’m part of a group that restores early 90’s jeeps into replica’s of the jeeps seen in Jurassic Park. Most of the seats available are not in great shape, and the original fabric is very hard to find. Id like to investigate getting it recreated, but dont even know where to start. Any pointers?

1 Like

I use to work at Stylecraft Upholstery. I was amazed with what they had in their stockroom. There was a company that made a book that listed who made what fabric for each year model of car but they went out of business 2 years ago. Have you looked to see if anyone else has done this or reached out to the Costume and prop department at the company that made the films? Even Adam Savage might have some pointers to help you find what you need. Never hurts to ask.

1 Like

there is a website called newtoto.com that sells discontinued upholstery fabric’s cheap, even marine fabric’s. Maybe you can find something there

2 Likes

Unique Auto Upholstery on South Seneca did the seat on my 61 using a newer tougher fabric with a vintage look,

2 Likes

The jeeps used the stock sahara seats, so the fabric is known just hard to find/super expensive. Thanks for the Stylecraft tip, I’ll check them out.

Newtoto.com doesnt seem to be a valid site, but totofabrics.com is and doesnt seem to have any. Thanks for the source though, could come in handy with a different project.

I’ll check out unique auto upholstery too. Almost every time its been located its been at a small shop that barely had a google business page. Thanks!

I was hoping to solve the source problem by finding a fabric manufacturer to recreate the original.

2 Likes

You can design a fabric pattern on a site like http://spoonflower.com

1 Like

The problem is most fabrics are manufactured overseas and their minimums are in the thousands for yardage. They is a distributor in Park City I stumbled across one time looking for something else but I don’t recall their name. Do you have an image of what you’re looking for as I’m not familiar.

1 Like

Heres a site that has the fabric listed as out of stock.

There have been deveral alternatives found that are close, but our group is a picky bunch.

1 Like

sorry, they use to be newtoto, now they are totofabrics. Sorry they didnt have what you were looking for

1 Like

Big Duck Canvas is where I buy canvas but they don’t have anything that color in a 12 oz which is the weight I would recommend but the do have a 10 oz.i have sample books if you want to see it before you buy. Charcoal Gray 10oz Cotton Duck Cloth | Cotton Canvas

You could dye it but because of the size of the fabric and stiffness it would be had to get a consistent solid color. Spray paint might be an option. Better yet watered down Golden acrylics would probably be the best way to go.

1 Like