Any Knife Makers Around?

Hello-

I’m just curious if there are any knife makers in town. I’m a beginner and sure could use some advice!!
I currently do the stock-removal method, though, in the future, I’d like to get into making my own Damascus through forging.

I have my own shop with a 2X72 grinder, small metal mill, small metal lathe, and forge.
I don’t have a heat-treating oven, though I have one partly built.

Any help finding contacts would be wonderful!!

God Bless.

Derek Hulsopple
Cell: 785-338-0927 (feel free to text me)
derhulsopple@gmail.com (though I rarely check my email)

2 Likes

There is a blacksmith club in Haysville. Some of our members have been in contact with them. Probably your best shot at ringing a knife maker around here.

2 Likes

That Haysville group is open on Monday and Wednesday nights around 7pm if you want to check out what they’re up to.

They’ve had a couple members on forged in fire (who are also members of MakeICT)

1 Like

My 13 year old is also a beginner and has the same goals as you. We’ve been going to CSMA Haysville Blacksmith Shop
As he progresses we’ve talked about getting a small forge for at home. He knows more about this than I do. I should get him to get his own forum account.

1 Like

I have a few knife blanks that I’m trying to put handles on. I love the idea of knife forging but I have zero expertise.

Thank you guys so much!! I will check it out!

1 Like

I’m with you. I basically just do stock removal

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Ross Jagers 316-491-1592 offers a Knife Making Experience where you do everything from forging a knife to making the grip. He has a forge and shop that can handle 3 people at a time. I bought the experience for my son-in-law. I am very impressed with the products that come out of his forge very high quality.

2 Likes

Ross has been open to help others with their forge setup also. At one point he was invited to forged and fire.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I will reach out to him

I am glad you were able to connect with Ross he is a really good guy. I also met with another person today his name is Eric O’Riley he is also a knife maker but is not into forging like Ross is, Maybe you all could collaborate. Store — O'Reilly Made Knives

1 Like