Airbrushing

Anyone have any expertise in airbrushing equipment.
I got a cheap one it does not do the fine details I want. been looking at the sparmax SP-35.
It’s gravity feed and it is 2 stage which I feel is a must.
However I’m on the fence because the cup can not be quick changed and req.full clean up.
Any alternatives with quick cup change

I have a friend who airbrushes professionally so I reached out to him.
He was rather course (possibly because I texted him at 7:50), but his advice was “learn how to change colors or buy more guns”.
With my experience with HVLP guns, even with quick change (I use the PPS 2.0 system), there is no substitute for good cleaning at every opportunity. and with my admittedly limited experience with airbrushing, the cleaning is pretty painless in comparison, as is buying extra guns (I’ll probably spend no less than $550 on my next HVLP (yes I’ve used the $15 HF guns))
I know this wasn’t the answer you were looking for, but I hope you can make some use of it.

Thx for info! All info welcome!

1 Like

Ahh, I was about to offer up my same experience with HVLPs and my Devilbiss…

Fine detail brushes are a slightly different animal, but I agree with making sure to clean constantly.

Air pressure can make a huge difference in the quality of a paint job. You might make sure that the pressure doesn’t surge when you pull the trigger or drop during a long stroke.

What a timely topic. I left last night thinking I should request a class in Air Brushing. Do we have someone that can teach one.

2 Likes

I sign up to take a class on techniques

Erik,

Can you teach an AirBrushing Class?

I have an airbrush purchased in the 90s that has gone unused since probably 1999. I never really got that good at it either. Most of the (vhs) training tapes I watched back then were how to get texture effects like metal riveted panels and stone… Things like that. All of which were done combining simple airbrush techniques with home made stencils and various traditional brushes and sponges. I always wanted to do the mike levalee (sp?) Tru fire. I also subscribed to auto art magazine back then. It was all hand painted pinstripers like bob bonds and amazingly talented custom hot rod air brush artists. Something tells me that magazine is long gone. But if you come across them they had some really great art and tutorials from pros.

I started getting a little nostalgic thinking about airbrushing and started looking up these og’s. Mike lavallee was just amazing. He apparently passed away recently. Here’s his blog.

The quality doesn’t really compare to what’s possible with digital design and printing today. But the way airbrushing is done directly on the item rather than printed and applied to the item… It just really stands out as special and specifically calculated for thatc particular thing. Not to mention a true one off.

This guy was sooo talented.