Advice/suggestions for meditating monkey?

I got this old sprinkler head from the salvage place downtown because I thought it looked like a monkey face, not realizing that it’s not ferrous so I can’t weld it.

So I need an alternate way to attach the head firmly to the body. If there was a connection on the inside between the eyes, that would be easy (loop something across the joining piece and attach to the body), but sadly there isn’t.

I think I’ll probably need to insert something through the eye holes or neck hole that is squishable but will firm up once inside, so I can attach it that way. My initial thought was to use clay, but that doesn’t seem nearly sturdy enough to keep the head attached.

So…concrete, or something? And if yes, anybody know where I can get a very small portion of concrete? :grinning:

(Note: It’s not in a completed state in this pic. I still need to add arms and legs, but don’t need advice about that!)

6 Likes

Does it just sit there? Or is there a mating section that could be epoxied? Or can a hole be drilled and a rod epoxied in place between the two?

2 Likes

Jb weld?

4 Likes

E6000 might work too

2 Likes

It reminds me of that creepy symbal playing monkey in horror movies.

Considered Hands?

Unless I totally misunderstand what you are attempting< would two-part epoxy like JB Weld be a simple solution to the problem?

Happy “(insert personal observance) here” lol ----> for those that might not understand the humor.

St. Bill

4 Likes

An idea that I can’t believe I didn’t consider: drill holes in the back of the head, bolt it to a piece of ferrous steel, and weld that to the body.

5 Likes

I did misunderstand, you like to master heat ! lol

1 Like

The sprinkler head, by the way, appears to be zinc. And I probably paid way too much for it at the salvage place (they have such cool stuff but man it’s expensive), because I just found a two-pack on Amazon for like $15.

Metal sprinkler heads generally seem to be really good for faces and other cool shapes. Check this one out— it’s brass, but I bet I could use the same method (bolting) for attaching it as the monkey head.

3 Likes

Could also put some big beads in for eyes and put wire in like thread and wire it together… maybe a little wire wrapping…

2 Likes

Yep. I have glass eyes that I’m planning to use, and maybe even put lights behind them. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Braze it?

1 Like

I have concrete if you decide to go that route.

2 Likes

If it’s aluminum, with a melting point of 1200F and you try to get it hot enough to melt brass at 1700F, I don’t think it’s going to end well.

1 Like

The connection where you would screw a hose to the sprinkler should be a 3/4 inch pipe thread. Try screwing a 3/4 inch pipe nipple into it then you could cut the nipple to the length you need and weld to that.

2 Likes

if that goes on the end of a hose, it’s not a 3/4" NPT thread. It’s a 3/4" NH. The thread pitch for 3/4" NPT is 14 tpi and NH is 11.5 tpi. They are not the same.

4 Likes

So last night I tried drilling holes in the back of the monkey head, then in the piece I want to use as a “halo” behind it— at home, because I am not going out on those roads.

I like the idea of screwing it onto a threaded pipe, but the bottom piece is broken off in the back because I tried grinding it to make it flat and…that didn’t work so well.

So then, experimentally, I put 15 mm glass eyes on it and stuffed some fairy lights inside, just to see how that could look. Might use different eyes and/or a different lighting method in the final version.

12 Likes

I like it. It looks really awesome.

That looks awesome!! Did you make the eyes or find them?

2 Likes

That looks awesome!! Did you make the eyes or find them?

Thanks! Oh, I have a few lying around. :grinning:

4 Likes