Adventures in mold making

As a few of you may know or have seen I’ve been messing around with two piece plaster slip molds.

This was the first two piece mold I have only cast one shackle to completion in it and will not be using it as I failed in a couple areas. shot of mold number 2’s first half with shackle getting ready to pour mold number two second half I knew the first mold wouldn’t produce anything desireable but curiosity got the best of me. I opened it to early and then put it back together and waited longer here are the broken pieces. I also didn’t wait long enough for mold number 2 seen here. First detailed pieces coming out of it. a hollow cross section shot from mold number two showing thickness of the slip. complete pin from a second attempt at mold number 1 I intended to fire to test strength and glaze on glaze test complete glaze testfirst complete release from mold 2 first release side by side I actually did get a release from mold number one , I’m stubborn and I kept trying, also pouring it at the same time as the second mold gave me a little idea after opening it first- to see what the second mold may be like as far as dryness mold 2.2 wanted to change some things mainly I was using commercial plaster and not pottery plaster and I wanted to change where the slip is poured in the actual moldfirst half done, prepping to pour second half. the clay area is where the slip will pour in. happened to have my second viable release from mold 2 the same day I pulled out the first glazed fired piece. (Today) mold 2.2 done and needs to dry I’m pretty happy with the initial look of it. I’ll know more in a week or so when it’s dry and poured mold 2 on the bottom mold 2.2 on top L t R form for mold, unfired shackle, brown glazed shackle (this one broke in two in the mold from drying to much I put it together but fired it for future slow motion smash video ) black glazed shackle USA side CM (manufacturer) side a real Crosby shackle with the fake CM one on top

6 Likes

I’m thinking a little clear matte spray and you’d have a hard time telling them apart. It does show that sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to make something new, but when you do, it is worth it!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for documenting and sharing your work!!!

3 Likes