Additional 3D printers

Earlier in the year I had reached out to everyone about the prospect of buying new 3d printers. There were many ideas. (bigger, sla, better, ect) I was trying to get the laser cutter sorted out. The laser is underway now.

The two main printer I would like to buy are the Prusa i3 MK3 and Creality CR-10s.
$850 https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/ (about $825 shipped) at least 4weeks out.
faster, more reliable, innovating company.

$600 http://www.creality3donline.com/product_detail.html?product_id=15
Bigger and a few weeks sooner.

I will place an order for the prusa in the next few days. I feel this is better printer for the vast majority of members, but we will have to wait a while.

I would love to get both, but we do not have the budget. After buying the MK3 we should have $350 for a second printer. I have a member that will donate $100 donation to purchase a Creality cr-10. That leaves $150.

If anyone would like to get the second printer please let me know.

Tom

I’m not advocating for this, necessarily, as I don’t have a huge vested interest in which 3D printers are available at MakeICT. But, I thought I would point out that the CR-10 can often be had for significantly less money than this. For example, www.lightinthebox.com currently has the CR-10S for $377.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/p/creality3d-cr-10s-3d-desktop-diy-printer-eu-plug-upgrade-version-coffee-and-black_p6344041.html

Granted, your mileage may very with some of these sellers.

Steve

Hey @tom.bloom I’d be in for $50 for another printer, if you’re still soliciting funds.

Ian
We are always soliciting funds. I will put your pledge down. I have to check on progress of the two additional printers. Then I will send a status update.

I will be back in town on Friday April 20.

Tom

FYI,
We have a Creality CR-10S. It is about ready. We need to work out a few cabling details, and print a case for the Raspberry PI. (Thank you Steve S for pointing out the deal.)

We have ordered a Prusa MK3. I do not have a ship date yet. My estimate right now would be second week of may.

Thank you to the members that donated funds. This allowed us to get a second printer, and stay within our budget.

FYI, Prusa MK3 shippment date has slid a bit. They estimate it will ship on May 28, 2018, so it looks like it will be the first part of June before we have the MK3.

Tom

Makers
The Prusa printer was received this week. Christian and I assembled it Friday/Sat. It was finishing a 3d benchy test print earlier today. Things look good, and should be ready to this week.

We are waiting for a raspberry pi to drive OctoPrint.

I have to update the Slic3r/Cura profiles, and create some training documents. There are some differences with this 3d printer from the rest.

1. NO HAIRSPRAY!!!
  2. Don’t scrape anything off of the bed. It has a removable steel plate on the bed that is flexible, so it is bent slightly to remove large prints you can pull off.

More details to come before we release it into the wild. I am going to come up Sunday for a few hours.

Christian also has some pictures he might upload. Or you can look at it on printer row at the space.

4 Likes

I’ve already informed Christian, but I’ll be bringing in the Pi for it in the morning.

The Prusa is set up and ready to go! There are some differences with this printer, so make sure you read the wiki page before trying to use it. A new version of Slic3r has been installed on the Thinkstation in the Fab Lab with the configuration for this printer.

The most important differences are:

• You DO NOT spray the bed with hairspray.
  • You DO NOT use scrapers to remove your prints.
  • You MUST use Octoprint or the built-in control panel to change filament

Happy printing!