A Year Later

I joined MakeICT a year ago. I’ve been paying my membership fee the whole time, but I have yet to actually use any of the services. And that’s okay… I’m happy to keep my membership up, if only because I’m doing my small part in keeping the whole thing going.

That said, there are some pretty huge changes happening in my life. A few weeks ago, my wife of 19 years asked me for a divorce, which has left me in a position where I need to find a place to stay. Well, for now, due to severe income limitations (I’m on SSDI), that place is going to be the back end of my 1993 Ford Aerostar XL minivan. That’s right, my friends, I’m going to be joining the ranks of those who call themselves “vanlifers” or “vandwellers.”

So why am I bringing this up here? I guess it’s to say that I might need some help. There are a couple things the van needs, and while I’ll be able to do handle most of them - just woodshop stuff - there might be a thing or two that I’ll need to talk to someone with more experience about. For instance, the van badly needs a rear bumper, which I’ve been unable to find. I have this idea that it might not be too difficult to craft one in a metalshop, but I know absolutely nothing about working with metal, and might need to lean on someone else’s knowledge.

Anyway, I’ll probably make an appearance or two in order to do some woodwork soon. If anyone is interested in what’s happening, I’ll post occasional pictures and updates here. And if you’re willing to help? Let me know!

Thank you!

3 Likes

Do you have a theme figured out for your van?

You might talk to Sosa about the apoc theme work he’s done to his cars.

I’m a bit surprised that the Keystone Automotive Group or the Kansas Auto Recyclers Network wasn’t able to find a bumper for you, but it shouldn’t be too hard to fab one up with the equipment in the metalshop. Just start with a cardboard template and then you can either design something up in fusion360 for the CNC plasma cutter, or if it’s simple enough, you could try your skill with the hand held plasma cutter.

1 Like

Do you have a theme figured out for your van?

A theme? Not really. Just… “where I’m going to live because I have no other choice.” chuckles

You might talk to Sosa about the apoc theme work he’s done to his cars.

I’m not entirely sure I understand what you mean by a theme, honestly.

I’m a bit surprised that the Keystone Automotive Group or the Kansas Auto Recyclers Network wasn’t able to find a bumper for you

I was kind of surprised, myself. I figured these things wouldn’t be too difficult to find. Lo and behold… I was wrong.

It shouldn’t be too hard to fab one up with the equipment in the metalshop. Just start with a cardboard template and then you can either design something up in fusion360 for the CNC plasma cutter, or if it’s simple enough, you could try your skill with the hand held plasma cutter.

Fusion360. CNC Plasma Cutter. Handheld Plasma Cutter.

Gotcha.

Looks like it’s time for me to learn some new skills.

1 Like