A Non-Discrimination Policy for MakeICT

The key policy also references “Disobeying any policy set by MakeICT or any of its programs”. The submission of a key form to the board does not imply automatic approval, so I read the alcohol policy as being more specific wrt expectations of corrective actions. I don’t read them as conflicting.

3 Likes

Membership doesn’t have any control over keys that all belongs to Security, according to Key Policy. If that’s changed, policy still needs to be updated. Membership isn’t even notified if a key is revoked according to Key policy, unless they are on Security, Board, or Area Lead, that needs to be clairified. When the Alcohol Policy was written the Membership Committee wasn’t having meetings according to wiki and calendar and hadn’t had a meeting since August of 2021. Why was control of a policy give to a committee that hasn’t been active and according to Key Policy doesn’t have any power over key activation.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, sadly the Membership Committee consists of Jai and myself. There hasn’t really been much point in official meetings.

1 Like

That’s why the Committee Policy was made in the first place to get meetings on the calendar so members knew when and where committees were meeting to help them attract other member volunteers.

Also, the current Committee Policy is in conflict with itself. When adding the definition of Subcommittees for Events the definition of committees was not updated to include formation of Subcommittees. Which by current definition of committees, is also a misnomer and should be called an Ad Hoc Committee but give rights to Events to form them in addition to the Board. The other option is to add them as a fourth type of committee, define them at the top, and limit them to the Board and Events. I had offered to help with this but wasn’t given access as requested in the time I had to assist ,and when access was finally granted, I wasn’t told I had access. If it’s this difficult for someone who had been in leadership for 7 year to access and help, I can’t imagine how intimidating leadership must be to someone who’s brand new and has lots of energy and enthusiasm to help make the space a better place for us all.

https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/Committees

The three types of committees are: Standing Committees which are formed by the Board and are on-going Ad Hoc Committees which are formed by the board to do a specific task and serve for a defined amount of time Specialized Committees are formed by the membership and approved by the Board.

Subcommittees for Events

1. Subcommittees can be formed for specific events, either by the Events committee or Board of Directors
  2. These will be formed for a specific event, and will cease to exist after the event.
2 Likes

I will make more of an effort to attend meetings for this one.

5 Likes

Excellent. I’ll be putting a meeting on the calendar for Membership this month. Most likely on the 14th.

Membership does have control over Key Activation, since Membership committee in its role as controller of Member Orientation has final say on who gets forwarded to Security for a key.
The ADP (Alcohol & Drug Policy) is a change in direction for MakeICT in that it lays out the punitive structure for disobeying the rules, instead of allowing for a nebulous and possibly subjective criteria. It was a clear attempt to produce a SOP and I think it’s a better direction for future policy to go. It is not in conflict with our key policy since Membership is not the one that takes the key away. That’s still the business of Security.
I do agree that the Wiki Key Policy could use an update for clarification especially surrounding revocation of a key, we’ll have to take that up with Communications.

Last line there on the committees first chapter states that “the board may assign…other assets…as it sees fit.” The ability to form a subcommittee falls under “other assets”. I also don’t read anything in the committee rules that says subcommittee’s cannot be formed within a committee. It would be confusing to call them Ad Hoc committees because only the board can form those.

1 Like

Absolutely, especially if what we are currently doing doesn’t fit with what we have written.

Take it up with communications? How would communication determine who needs to be notified?Security and written policy should determine that.

1 Like