3d printing lithophanes

I’ve read about others doing 0% infill, but i would imagine that would make them extremely delicate and easily broken.

No actually they are solid plastic. It’s all top layers.

1 Like

What’s your reasoning for doing it that way instead of just setting the infill to 100%?

It works either way, but depending on how your slicer is set, it often prints faster using top layers.

I did this cylindrical lithophane with 0% infill and 9999 top layers. Any idea why it might be skipping layers?

I would check for a clogged nozzle. If you haven’t calibrated the extruder, it might be time.
You could also try different filament and see if that makes a difference.
You didn’t mention speed or layer height but try 30 mm/s and .12 or .16 layer height if you are using a .4 nozzle. Also check belt tension.

1 Like

What makes you think it’s skipping layers?

.12 layer and 30. If it’s not skipping a layer, what’s going on here? I probably do need to switch out my nozzle. The glow in the dark really ate it up

There is some inconsistency there, but I wouldn’t think it was skipping layers or anything like that. Could be due to a number of issues, here are a few:

• Partially clogged or otherwise jacked up nozzle
    • If you’ve been running abrasives in a brass nozzle this is a likely candidate
  • Inconsistent filiament diameter
    • What brand are you using?
  • Part wobble
    • Not too likely on a large cylinder
  • Mechanical wobble
    • Loose belt, loose screws, loose something
  • Extruder issues
    • Too loose, wheels clogged, etc.
1 Like

I only use hatchbox pla and abs, and colorfabb brassfill and copperfill. Although i did recently purchase some transparent Ziro(chinese), because it’s getting really good reviews and hatchbox is constantly out of transparent. I haven’t use it yet. Any idea when the nozzle x goes on sale? I have a spare brass nozzle i can switch out in the meantime.

What do you mean by “goes on sale”? If you mean “is available for purchase” then it is currently available on various online stores. If you mean “is available for purchase at a reduced price” then I don’t know. Different online stores have sales at various times.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they had gone on sale yet. I got one ordered, although they are already on backorder, so I should be receiving my nozzle x by the end of the month.

I did this with 12mm brim and used a program called itslitho with printed paper backer for color

4 Likes

@jwithers @Christian @Frank those lithos are AMAZING, I never thought of that and definitely would love to learn.

2 Likes