3D Printable Mask for COVID-19

Hey all I was told to post this here. I was watching the news the other night and I saw that a doctor and a dentist in Montana created a 3D printable mask for emergency workers and health workers that are having shortages of doctor masks. They have released the STL files and I wanted to share it all with you all. This way we can look to our community and if there are any services, health services, nursing care, fire, police, EMS, etc that are in need this would be a great way to give back to the community.

I made a youtube video about this on my channel: https://youtu.be/qGOK_bD14Pw

This is a great opportunity for the Maker community.

I have an EDIT:

I have been looking into the reddit post about how 3D printed plastic can grow bacteria and could house the virus in the plastic. There are recommended instructions on the link I provided above that should be followed for how to coat and seal up the plastic so that it can be sanitized properly after each use. I did not mention that in my youtube video and I am in the process of correcting that. Be careful and if anything else comes up I will edit the post with more information.

2 Likes

video is set to private.

I have updated the link. I had to put some important safety info into the video. It is still processing on YouTube so give it about 10 min and it will be viewable

1 Like

This is a great thing. I will fund $50.00 towards material, for our Makerspace to 3-D Print masks.

Thes are needed as well

As dire as the PPE situation is…it looks as though the ventilator shortage will be as bad or worse than predicted. In this video you can see an example of a simple device which could make the difference for a person who cannot get access to a ventilator in a hospital. And this is hardware we could make!

2 Likes

Yes! That is awesome. I love engineers and makers we are the builders of tomorrow and today. Keep the ideas flowing!!

1 Like

That’s awesome! I wonder how many stepper motors there are lying around in the US? I know I usually buy mine from China as I need them. :frowning:

1 Like

I have 3 sources for free injection molds to make the 3D printed part of the Face shields. Some makerspaces are up to 6000 per day output.