2021 Board Election Candidate Profile: At-Large > Dean Day

This is the Candidate Profile thread for @deanday who has accepted a nomination for the position of At-Large Director.

MEMBERS: If you have questions for the candidate, please pose them below for the candidate to respond to.

1 Like
  1. What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT?
    MakeICT feels very familiar. I have used the area to build everything from sculpture to tools

2. What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member?
    I have been a part for MakeICT since it was part of Blue Bird. Since my retirement I have contributed to the continuing success. As a board member I will continue that contribution.

3. If you have served on the Board in the past, What do you feel you did right? What do you think you did wrong, or could have done better?

4. Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term?
    Yes

5. It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership?
    I have been directly involved in scientific research. . As an artist I have both shown and sold my works professionally. These life experiences will bring an outlook to the board that will better MakeICT.

6. Do you promise you can serve out your entire term until next June? Do you predict that you’ll be open to running for a second or third term so MakeICT has a continuous, stable board of directors?
    Yes

7. Have you read our bylaws and standing rules?
    Yes

8. What areas of the makerspace are you proficient/not proficient in?
    I have a proficiency in the areas at MakeICT from experiences I should be certified in most.

9. How long have you been a member?
    Just over 5 years

10. Do you see there being anything that would keep you from helping out at the makerspace on a daily basis?
    Life

What Should We Do Next?

1. What are your thoughts about MakeICT’s direction in the coming year?
    We have come through a very difficult time that should be behind us. Concentrate on building on our strengths.

2. What areas would you like to see MakeICT develop and evolve?
    We have lost a sense of community, we need it back!

How Should We Operate?

1. How will you ensure that the board stays focused on long-term strategy instead of getting wrapped up in day to day issues?
    We have a chain of command from members to leads to the board. The board steps in only if the lead requests, or the situation extends beyond the leads responsibility.

2. What did last year’s board do well?
    We are still here!

3. What could last year’s board have done better?
    Membership.

4. How will you gauge whether we’re successful as an organization?
    We still exist in a year

5. Do you see a need to increase dues?
    Not a first choice
    [/quote]

2 Likes

Any ideas how we get the makeict community back going again? The new place is really spread out so it seems like it might be a challenge.

Follow up question. If makeict made Dean Day an official event what would you propose we do on Dean Day?

2 Likes

A lot of these questions/answers are directed to inside the building. What plans do you have to work on for MakeICT image and presence outside the building?

2 Likes

Coffee! The simple answer is to encourage members to use the space. To gather and exchange ideas, expertise, to talk and listen to each other.

Dean’s Day: Open a discussion with the Deans of our local colleges on how to encourage STEM no STEAM I Science, Technology, ART, Mathematics ) in Wichita. This should also include business leaders local politicians and other contributing interests.

3 Likes

Malissa as you know MakeICT has made many starts as a presence in the Wichita “scene:” Many external influences have worked against MakeICT in this respect. Let’s listen to ideas when and where they are presented.

There is a principle in Martial Arts that applies. “Absorb what is useful”.

2 Likes

Pre-pandemic or BC(Before Covid) I had heard of a round table event that did just that. Each table had a business leader, a politician, a maker leader, a student leader, ect. I would really like to see that happen here. KLC has a great spot for it as well

2 Likes

I really think we need some type of event or activity that draws the interest of the neighbors surrounding us. I know and understand we are an “Adult Space” however, we have moved into a family residential area and we might consider figuring out a way to pique their interest so they will want to join. Over the last year I’ve got to know Malissa better and she has some OUTSTANDING Ideas that I feel are well worth talking to her about and trying them out. We need to continue evolving and growing. We really need to find someone who likes to keep up with all the Local social media platforms by promoting different classes and events that we do on a daily basis keeping us fresh in peoples minds, making us a “go to” for local things fun and interesting

1 Like

Since MakeICT is now a part of the neighborhood we need to act like it.
When there are neighborhood events MakeICT needs to be there with positive support. If neighborhood events have a need for resources and MakeiCT can help supply them, we should. As a neighbor we should be actively involved in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

I’ve hear it mentioned that there might be a chance to have the neighborhood association meet at the space each month - what better way to get people in the door. Not sure where we are on that - but love the thought.

1 Like

We have already a contact with the neighborhood association (Gary Titus) and have told him we would be happy to have the neighborhood association to meet at our space.

2 Likes

That would be a win for all! Go Gary!

2 Likes