2021 Board Election Candidate Profile: At-Large > David Hanson

This is the Candidate Profile thread for @whateg01 who has accepted a nomination for the position of At-Large Director.

MEMBERS: If you have questions for the candidate, please pose them below for the candidate to respond to.

Tell Us About Yourself

What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT?
While I do use some of the tools available from time to time, I enjoy doing mechanical repairs such as fixing the tilt lock on the Saw Stop, replacing the switch on the Logan lathe, modifying the front door push bar to make up for wear so that the door latches properly. Making the space easier, safer, and more fun to use is a goal of mine, so making a set of fixed struts for the red toolboxes in Metal and building a hammer rack so the hammers aren’t just thrown in the top of the toolboxes with “everything else”.

What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member?
I think it’s tbe bylaws that say what- Oh. You wanted a more personal answer. My bad! I want to see MakeICT grow and succeed. I have the experience as a somebody who wears many hats to be able to advise on matters involving materials, processes, and tools that make the space a better place to be.

If you have served on the Board in the past, What do you feel you did right? What do you think you did wrong, or could have done better?
N/A

Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term?
I do travel for work, so I will surely miss some meetings. In in a hotel in Des Moine right now, in fact. That is something that has kept me from volunteering for things that would require my immediate attention, such as area leads. But with virtual meetings being a thing today, if we can stream some events, those of us who can’t be present in physical form can still participate.

It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership?
By fostering a welcoming environment, we can encourage those around us to open up about their strengths and their weaknesses. We can all learn from one another strengths to overcome our weaknesses in this manner.

Do you promise you can serve out your entire term until next June? Do you predict that you’ll be open to running for a second or third term so MakeICT has a continuous, stable board of directors?
If I die before then, I don’t think I’ll be able to serve the entire term. However, I don’t really plan on dying, so yeah. At this time, I expect I would look forward to being a part of MakeICT leadership for many more years.

Have you read our bylaws and standing rules?
Yes.

What areas of the makerspace are you proficient/not proficient in?
Wood, Metal, FabLab. I’m an electronics tech by trade and I do sew when the need arises. While I don’t make use of the ERP or textiles space regularly, I am familiar with many of the items there.

How long have you been a member?
Uh. A few years. According to the web, a bit over 4 years.

Do you see there being anything that would keep you from helping out at the makerspace on a daily basis?
I travel for work and I own a home. Family comes first for me, so if the option is help the makerspace or help a family member, you won’t be seeing me. If I’m on the road, the commute would be a bit of a drag.

What Should We Do Next?
Keep doing. Find ways to get members back into the space more and to attract more members.

What are your thoughts about MakeICT’s direction in the coming year?
See above.

What areas would you like to see MakeICT develop and evolve?
Getting a forge going for Metal and eventually getting to a point where we can cast (bigger stuff than jewelry).

How Should We Operate?
Set the On/Off switch to On. A rather vague question, but we should operate with the membership’s needs in mind.

How will you ensure that the board stays focused on long-term strategy instead of getting wrapped up in day to day issues?
By reminding everybody to stay focused on long-term strategy instead of getting wrapped up in day to day issues.

What did last year’s board do well?
We are open for business again. Managing to stay afloat through a move during a pandemic was a feat.

What could last year’s board have done better?
Communicate and take input from the general membership better.

How will you gauge whether we’re successful as an organization?

Do you see a need to increase dues?

1 Like

What ideas do you have to help us communicate better?

This probably is the most important thing for the next year. Do you have any ideas to get the ball rolling?

I think a newsletter would be a good start. While that type of distribution is often ignored, it has the potential to reach far more of the membership than just a post on a forum that most members probably never visit. The forum is great, and is great for dialog, but it requires the user to make the effort to visit. And if they don’t, they are left in the dark.

1 Like

Not sure, but I think a good start would be to find ways to get non-members to visit. So, open house events, maybe. I know maker monday is just that, but maker monday really aims to seek out people for the sole purpose of getting them to join. If we did a neighborhood cookout, that could maybe help build the relationship with our neighbors, and entice people to stop by that otherwise wouldn’t even consider it.

2 Likes