2019 Annual Member Meeting and Board of Directors Nominations

Makers,

It is that time again… Our 2019 Annual Meeting will be held on 9 June 2019, 430-7PM, location yet to be confirmed. Last night the board voted to appoint our election committee members. Much thanks to James Lancaster, Steve Saner and Doug Wilson for volunteering. They are now accepting nominees for this year’s board election. Nominees can be submitted by email to election@makeict.org . Please do not nominate someone prior to discussing with them.

Ken Steadman
MakeICT Secretary

Thanks Ken!

I would like to add a few things:

1. first, being on this board has been more rewarding than I ever thought it’d be. I didn’t think I was qualified, or that serious, or had the time, but after being nominated I figured I must have something to give. So please give it serious consideration!

2. you may nominate yourself.

3. we don’t allow write-ins on the ballot. The reason for this is because we’d rather you nominate whoever you’d be writing in, so we can make sure they actually want to serve.

4. See you on June 9th!

3 Likes

Nominating Kim!

It’s a bit helpful to attend a board meeting to see what you are getting into (unfortunately the next scheduled one is June 20th). The current board members won’t just walk off into the sunset after the election, we’ll stick around and provide guidance or still be on the board is some way or another.

If anyone has questions about what it’s like being on the board or have any concerns, you are welcome to ask us.

Being on the board has been a bit challenging, but I definitely felt a deeper connection with the maker community thru the past 2 years. Being on the board of a community as big as MakeICT is daunting, but this community is also massively supportive. There have been some rough situations, but those have easily been offset by seeing how much our community has grown, evolved, and given back to Wichita. It’s definitely been worth being on the board.

3 Likes

I totally agree with Rusty. Helping to shape MakeICT is totally worth it.

If you are wanting to help out, but don’t feel ready to take on a board seat, consider working on one of our committees. They are a great place to dip your toes into the water.
Or if you are focused on a single area at MakeICT, a great way to serve is to tell the lead in that area you would love to be an assistant lead.

3 Likes

How many nominations so far or who has accepted?

1 Like

So far I have seen no emails to election@makeict.org. I just sent a test message to make sure it works, and it does.

2 Likes

I’ve contacted a few people who were interested and I’m waiting on responses before putting their names in the hat.

A couple people have asked if I would be interested in running again (yes, I’ll run for certain positions), but I am hoping they’d put in the nomination at some point.

So there is talk going on outside of this thread.

2 Likes

Have we got any nominations yet? Meeting is now 13 days away.

I think outside emergencies (think lots and lots and lots of water) are rightfully drawing the time and attention of Ken, and perhaps others dealing with nominations. I’m sure he’ll post as soon as he possibly can.

1 Like

I made some nominations (hope you’re up for another year @Malissa!) , it’d be nice if everybody turned in a few!

There are three people on the election committee any of them can edit the candidate list on the wiki. @doug.wilson are you getting those nomination emails?

1 Like

I was just bumping the post without saying ‘bump’

Where is the candidate list?

As a member of the election committee, I can tell you that we are receiving nominations. We are still trying to get the committee organized, however.

1 Like

Ive never been on the board but I would encourage those who are nominated, if you have the time, to do it. If not the board then some other element of service somewhere. Serving is a highly leveraged way to increase your quality of life, and not just for the greater good of humanity, but for yourself. Being selfless, whatever form it happens to take does wonders for the spirit. It takes you out of your own world and in to humanity, opens your heart and deepens your perspective.

3 Likes

On behalf of the election committee, I would like to thank you for your patience as we get organized and process the nominations. To date we have received 28 nominations. An email has been, or will shortly be, sent to each of the people nominated to notify them and to request that they let us know if they accept the nomination. We have received a few responses, but quite a few are still outstanding.

The following wiki page includes the list of nominees that have so far accepted nomination.

http://makeict.org/wiki/2019_Board_Nominations

If you think you may have been nominated, please check your email and reply to election@makeict.org to accept or refuse the nomination.

We will be soon posting a set of questions that nominees will be encouraged to answer here on the forum. In the mean time if you have any further nominations or any questions, please send email to election@makeict.org.

Steve Saner
2019 MakeICT Election Committee Member
FabLab Lead

2 Likes

Hey everyone, some additional people have accepted nominations and have been added to the 2019 ballot.

http://makeict.org/wiki/2019_Board_Nominations

There are still some outstanding nominations that we have not heard back from as well.

Thanks

Steve Saner
2019 MakeICT Election Committee Member
FabLab Lead

2 Likes

Thanks Steve! I am very happy to see that we have a full slate of candidates - it means I can stop being president! I will make an awesome immediate past president. I’m pretty excited about it.

5 Likes

Can it be written next to each name on the candidate list who is incumbent?