2018 Elections - Questions Dean Day

2018 Elections - Questions

Tell us about yourself

1. What are some favorite things you have already done for MakeICT?
     1. I use MakeICT as a resource.

2. What in your opinion qualifies you to be a board member?
    1. I am retired this gives me the time to work for MakeICT.
    2. During my employment at Boeing Military I worked with the DOD, DOE, and contractors. When I  transferred to Boeing commercial I worked with the FAA. I both instances I worked on teams defining Boeing’s contractual relations.
    3. As an area committee lead, I have had the pleasure of building the MakeICT Gallery into a Showroom for showing what MakeICT members can accomplish. 
    4. The board needs to provide direction for MakeICT, I would like to be a part of providing that direction. 

3. If you have served on the Board in the past, What do you feel you did right? What do you think you did wrong, or could have done better?

4. Are you able to be at Board meetings, Maker Mondays and other events for the duration of your term?
    1. Yes

5. It is our mission to innovate, learn, and build community at the intersection of art, technology, science, and culture. How would you support our mission as leadership?
    1. As an artist, engineer, programmer, and long term maker (60+ year). I can bring a perspective to MakeICT leadership that will support leadership in these areas.

What should we do next?

1. What are your thoughts about MakeICT's direction in the coming year? 
    1. We have to deal with our growth and the satisfaction of our new members with MakeICT.
    2. We need to provide for long term funding, preferably not tied to membership dues, 

2. What's your agenda for what you want to accomplish in the coming year?
    1. Work with the board to make MakeICT better.

3. What should our priorities be in terms of trying to find a different space versus extending the lease on our current building?
    1. The issue comes down to multiple spaces vs. a new space. I am inclined to multiple spaces.

4. Do you think MakeICT should focus on one space down town or multiple satellite locations in underserved communities? 
    1. With out a solid business case, I would be reticent about serving the underserved. It comes down to best use of resource.

How should we operate?

1. Do you believe the Board should deal with day to day issues? Should area leads have more authority over day to day operations?
    1. Boards need to provide long term perspective and goals. The board should, as a last resort, act as an authority figure.

2. Do you support an expansion of board terms from 1 year to 2 years? Why or why not?
    1. I would support a 2 year term, as this would yield a form of continuity if the terms are staggered.

3. Would a 2 year term affect your decisions to accept a nomination?
    1. No

4. Would you support staggered elections June and December for general directors seats? Why or why not?
    1. Only for the first year of elections, after that a single board meeting.

5. Would you support staggered elections with half the board elected at each Annual meeting?
    1. Yes
6. Tell us one thing the Board did in the last 12 months that needs an undo. Be specific
     1. I do not agree with all of the board's decisions that is a given. It does not serve to challenge what the board has done. The board has to the right act in the best interest of MakeICT, even when their decisions are not popular.

7. Tell us one thing not done in the last 12 months by the Board that still needs done. Be specific.
    1. A definitive policy on revocation of membership.
8. Do you believe the entire membership should vote each year at the annual meeting on the
    organizations  Standing Rules? Refer to Article III Section 2 of the bylaws
    1. Taken at face value, the membership can vote to revoke the standing rules. A change to the verbiage to the effect vote on  changes/amendments to the standing rules

Dean it appears that you didn’t answer the last 3 questions, can you provide answers to them?

1.Tell us one thing the Board did in the last 12 months that needs an undo. Be specific.

2.Tell us one thing not done in the last 12 months by the Board that still needs done. Be specific.

3.Do you believe the entire membership should vote each year at the annual meeting on the organizations Standing Rules? Refer to Article III Section 2 of the bylaws.

Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?

That depends on the person and how you believe they will handle the feedback. The best approach is to give the feedback and deal with the response. If you know they can not handle negative or difficult feedback then do what you can to help them. When all else fails give them the feedback and get out of the way. Note this assumes that the feedback has to be given.

I am intrigued that you tied this JB’s post. I simply noted that I did not answer those questions, and added them and my answers to my original post.

Dean

Dean, I think James is blanketing all the candidates with this same question. On my computer it shows up as part of the thread that was started with your original answers to the candidate’s questions. So I don’t think there was anything personal or special about how James asked the question. Cheers, Curt

I got the same question and I think everyone else did as well. James likes asking interview style questions. You may remember he had us answer some similar questions last year.

Sometimes these get stuck on one topic. Interview style questions allow for people reading to see how they would answer.

I just hit reply on the last email.

If selected for this position, can you describe your strategy for the first 90 days?

This is an easy question, am I walking a tight rope or a slack rope. Once I know the ropes we can make MakeICT better.

Dean

What techniques and tools do you use to keep yourself organized?

If you could change three things about yourself, what would they be?